Have you been living in the same home with the same pieces for what seems like eternity? Does your interior décor feel dull & uninspired? Here are 5 tips for giving your home a breath of new life:
- Purge – If you don’t love it or you don’t use it, then get rid of it! Clutter can sap your home of energy! Look around, be selective and let go of anything that you don’t enjoy. The idea is not to just fill a space but to create a lifestyle. This is hard for many, so if you need help letting go of some relics you may want to consider enlisting the help of a professional organizer.
- Live Plants & Flowers – Get rid of the old silk flowers and dried arrangements that have been hanging around collecting dust. Introducing a living plant or fresh flower arrangement to a room immediately energizes it! A living plant in a room adds a touch of nature and helps produce oxygen.If you have a black thumb and can’t seem to keep plants alive, then consider some very high quality “ permanent greenery” or lifelike floral arrangements that you can change out seasonally. For example, I love my freshly cut Forsythia branches in the Spring, but they don’t last long, so I also have a permanent arrangement of these bright yellow flowering branches. They make me smile the moment I walk into the room!
- Lighting – Yes, I know I talk about this frequently, but great lighting can make a home! (see the recent article on quality lighting for several tips). Change out tired looking, dated, or inexpensive lamps or light fixtures for a few newer pieces; get rid of the old fashioned pleated shades that also collect dust. Make sure your rooms are properly lit with different light sources, and avoid relying solely on overhead lighting as this can feel harsh. An accent lamp in a dark corner or entry can really freshen up any interior environment.
- Color – Changing your wall color or updating your overall color scheme in a room is one of the quickest ways to change the entire mood of a space. If you aren’t ready to take on the whole house, try starting with your bedroom. This is an area where you can introduce a new color scheme to reflect your personal taste. Look for colors that inspire you and feel good to you, not just what’s trendy. Painting the walls of your bedroom something other than drab beige can reenergize the entire space!
- Reflective Surfaces – Mirrors, glass and other materials with reflective qualities can help distribute natural light around your home. You do want to be careful not to overdo this to avoid creating a “fun house” look. Even a few subtle pieces in materials such as shiny metals, acrylic or mercury glass can brighten a room. Mixing these types of pieces into a room with a lot of wood can also help to make a space feel visually lighter and fresher. This room setting by Bernhardt Furniture demonstrates several examples of this technique.
These are just a few ideas to inspire you to reenergize your interior décor and see what a difference it makes in how you feel when you come home.
Love Where You Live!