Welcome to AHT’s March Design Tip Series! All this month, we’ll be offering you easy-to-implement ideas for freshening your home’s interior.
Tip #2: How Does Your Home Smell?
Have you ever walked into someone’s home to be welcomed by the smell of yesterday’s cooking or the family dog? In the arena of interior design, much attention is placed on how our homes look , but I would like to encourage you to consider how your home feels. There are many different things to consider when creating an environment that is inviting, welcoming, comfortable and peaceful, and scent is certainly one of them.
It has been said that our sense of smell is one of our strongest in evoking memories. While none of us would wish for the olfactory acuity of our canine friends, our sense of smell is not one to overlook.
A few things you can do to improve your home’s “scents-ability”:
- Add fresh flowers to your home.
- Burn a candle that produces a scent that you love.
- Add scented oils with diffuser reeds to your bathrooms.
- Spray lavender mist on your pillowcase before going to bed.
- Sprinkle baking soda on your rugs and carpet prior to vacuuming to absorb odors.
- Hang a sachet packet on your bedroom or bathroom doorknob.
- Treat your favorite furry friend to a regular professional grooming.
Remember, what your guests first smell upon their arrival can often be more impactful than what they see!
– – –
Did you miss the March Design Series Tip #1? Read it here.
The remaining tips have now been posted:
Tip #3: Light Up Your Life