Accessories are a crucial element in interior design, as they add depth and character to a space, and can tie together different design elements. In this article, we will explore some common types of accessories used in interior design and how they can be used to enhance the look of a space.
Types of Accessories
- Wall art: Wall art includes paintings, prints, photographs, and other decorative items that are hung on a wall. It adds visual interest and character to a room, and can be used to reflect the overall style and theme of the space. For example, a modern living room may feature abstract paintings, while a traditional dining room may have classic landscape prints. Wall art can be used to fill empty wall space, draw attention to a focal point, or add a pop of color to a neutral room.
- Rugs: Rugs are a popular accessory in interior design, as they can add warmth, texture, and color to a space. They can also define a seating area, anchor a furniture arrangement, or add visual interest to a room. There are many types of rugs available, including hand-knotted, machine-made, natural fiber, and synthetic. When selecting a rug, consider the size, color, pattern, and material to ensure it complements the overall design of the space.
- Pillows and throws: Pillows and throws are a simple and affordable way to add comfort and style to a room. They can be used to add pops of color, texture, and pattern to a neutral sofa or bed. Pillows and throws can be mixed and matched to create a cohesive look or used to introduce different design elements into a space.
- Lighting: Lighting is an important element in interior design, as it sets the mood and atmosphere of a space. There are many types of lighting fixtures available, including table lamps, floor lamps, pendant lights, and chandeliers. Consider the style, size, and function of a lighting fixture when selecting it for a room. For example, a statement chandelier can be used to add drama to a dining room, while table lamps can provide task lighting for a home office.
- Mirrors: Mirrors are a versatile accessory in interior design, as they can reflect light, create the illusion of space, and add visual interest to a room. They can be used to accent a wall, create a focal point, or balance out a room’s proportions. Consider the size, shape, and style of a mirror when selecting it for a space. For example, a large, ornate mirror can make a statement in a formal living room, while a small, round mirror can add a touch of whimsy to a bathroom.
Accessories are such an important element in interior design, as they add depth, character, and personality to your space. By selecting the right accessories, you can enhance the overall look and feel of a room, and create a cohesive and visually appealing design.
If you have any questions during the Elements of Interior Design, please let us know; all of the previous articles can be found on our blog.
The team at AHT Interiors specializes in creating interior designs that are beautiful, functional, and on budget. Schedule a consultation with our design team today!
Images by AHT Interiors.