While the start of 2018 in the Alpharetta area has been cold and blustery, the Pantone Color of the Year for 2018 is anything but dreary!
Ultra-Violet is the chosen shade by the color marketing group which dictates color trends for fashion, home decor and other design elements.
This hue speaks toward creativity, inspiration and vision. It also has mystical, spiritual and powerful roots. I love this rich, saturated version of purple; since it is such a bold and energizing color, it is best to use it sparingly!
Here are 5 ideas for incorporating this shade into your interior decor:
- An accent wall in a room– Because of its association with the mystical realm, this would be a great shade to include in a space used for meditation or creative thinking.
- Accent Pillows or Accessories– If your decorating palette leans towards the “safe” neutral shades of tan, gray or brown, add some depth and interest by changing out some tired throw pillows or ho-hum accessories. Add a punch of Ultra Violet to add new energy to a room.
- Wallpaper a powder room– Small areas of your home provide great opportunities for stepping out of your comfort zone! A powder bath is a wonderful space to go bold with color. Rather than just painting all the walls, consider a wallcovering that makes use of this new shade. You might opt to be more reserved with the amount of this color in your wallcovering choice, but you can punch it up by changing hand towels to a more vibrant hue.
- Lamps and Light Fixtures– Adding a statement lamp or light fixture is always a great way to update your decor. Why not consider some of the customizable options offered by your favorite interior designer? Whether you have a more conservative home in Milton, Ga or a funkier place in Brookhaven, some great lighting with a shade that includes this year’s color would work in either environment.
- Recover Chair Seats– As shown in the image at left, recovering the chair seats in an Ultra Violet fabric gives this neutral decorating scheme a fresh new look.
Of course, if you tend to be more reserved and prefer an understated decor, you can simply add a bouquet of fresh flowers that sport this shade!
Color has an impact on how we feel in different environments. If you would like more information about this as well as how to work with color in your home, you can also download our free Interior Decorating Color Guide.
Have fun playing with this color and Love Where You Live!